The Don Wright Memorial Scholarship
Each year, St. Michael’s Printshop invites applications from emerging artists who wish to come to work at St. Michael’s Printshop for one year under the Don Wright Printmaking Scholarship.
First awarded in 1991, the Don Wright Scholarship was established in recognition of visual artist Don Wright for the valuable contribution he made to the development of St. Michael’s Printshop and the visual arts in Newfoundland and Labrador.
This program offers an emerging artist the opportunity to develop his/her ideas and technical skills in a professional printmaking facility. One scholarship residency is offered each year. In order to qualify, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Normally reside in Newfoundland and Labrador (or be willing to relocate in order to commit a reasonable amount of time to the scholarship)
- Be recent graduates of a Fine Arts Program of study: have graduated from a Fine Arts Program in the last four years.
- Must demonstrate technical competence and innovation in the print medium.
Conditions of the Residency
The residency is for a one year duration. Two prints from each edition printed during the residency must be provided to St. Michael’s Printshop. One of these prints will be retained in the Printshop’s Archives, the other is used for fundraising purposes. The scholarship recipient will be expected to offer assistance with various studio activities throughout the year.
Benefits of Scholarship
- Waiving of shop rental fees for 12 months
- $1,000 Artist Fee
- 24-hour access to the Printshop
- Free enrolment in Visiting Artist Workshops
- Exhibition in Gallery space at the end of residency
- Artist’s CV
- A written project proposal
- 10 jpegs plus list
- Names and contact information for 2 references.
Previous Don Wright Scholars
Michael Ceilieski 2016-2017
Jesse Wardell 2015-2016
Amery Sandford 2014-2015
Virginia Mittford 2013-2014
April White 2012-2013