The Don Wright Memorial Scholarship
Each year, St. Michael’s Printshop invites applications from emerging artists who wish to come to work at St. Michael’s Printshop for one year under the Don Wright Printmaking Scholarship.
First awarded in 1991, the Don Wright Scholarship was established in recognition of visual artist Don Wright for the valuable contribution he made to the development of St. Michael’s Printshop and the visual arts in Newfoundland and Labrador.
This program offers an emerging artist the opportunity to develop his/her ideas and technical skills in a professional printmaking facility. One scholarship residency is offered each year. In order to qualify, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Normally reside in Newfoundland and Labrador (or be willing to relocate in order to commit a reasonable amount of time to the scholarship)
- Be recent graduates of a Fine Arts Program of study: have graduated from a Fine Arts Program in the last four years.
- Must demonstrate technical competence in one or more print processes available at St. Michael’sand must demonstrate innovation in the print medium more broadly: http://www.stmichaelsprintshop.com/about/
Conditions of the Residency
The residency is for a one year duration. Two prints from each edition printed during the residency must be provided to St. Michael’s Printshop. One of these prints will be retained in the Printshop’s Archives, the other is used for fundraising purposes. The scholarship recipient will be expected to offer assistance with various studio activities throughout the year.
Benefits of Scholarship
- Waiving of shop rental fees for 12 months
- $1,000 Artist Fee
- 24-hour access to the Printshop
- Free enrolment in Visiting Artist Workshops
- Exhibition in Gallery space at the end of residency
- Completed application form (including info for 2 references)
- 1 PDF including:
- Artist’s CV (include email, phone number, address, no more than 2 pages)
- A written project proposal (clear and concise description of what you plan to make, themes you will explore, no more than 2 pages)
- Image list (include title, medium, size, year made)
- 9 jpegs (each image under 1mb file size)